Sunday, January 14, 2018

Boro stitching



Got my visible mending vibe on again. While working on another teacup, I was inspired to take a break and make some mini embroidery hoop necklace pendants using boro stitching.

Boro stitching is an old Japanese technique used to extend the life of household linens and clothing. Patches are not necessarily sewn all around the edges. The running stitches hold everything in place beautifully and make layer after layer of mends and new fabric.

Using repurposed denim, a stack of vintage feedsack scraps I got from a flea market in Louisburg, Kansas, and 100% linen thread, I played with doing tiny Japanese boro technique. 




I love how they came out. The tiny stitching was a lot of fun but required a major attention mode.

And then, I couldn't help but make a tiny quilt, too, hand quilted with a cotton batting backing.



They're all in my Rabbithorns Etsy shop tonight.  

And what am I doing tonight? Hoping it snows again. I woke up to a winter wonderland. Snow is my favorite thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment